Earlier this month my daughter missed out on a school party due to the flu. In fact, we all got the flu, how fun right? But it wasn’t being sick that bothered her so much as missing out on the party with friends. To try and make up for it I promised that she could create her own party snacks to share with her sister. Because we are trying to be a little bit healthier as a family, snacks like these are rare so this was a suitable pick me up in her eyes.
These snacks are not Keto Friendly and so my husband and I did not have any (but I will share a version later this week that is!).My children, however, assured me they were amazing! While my kids know the importance of eating healthy I also allow them treats. Kids should be allowed to be kids and learning not to binge on junk food, but to see it as a once in a while indulgence is a skill best taught young.
I allowed my daughter to create this treat on her own. The result was a surprisingly easy to make DIY party snack that both kids and mothers would enjoy making. I would happily serve these for birthday parties or celebrations.
- Jumbo Marshmallows
- Dipping Chocolate
- Pretzel Sticks
- Sprinkles & Decor
- Layout a pan with parchment paper – This will save you a lot of time later when it comes to clean up!
- Get your kids to start stabbing Marshmallows lengthwise with pretzel sticks – we found it best to stick the pretzel sticks through the marshmallows lengthwise so that they stood up. Not only does this save you space on your tray but it keeps a lot of the chocolate from being wiped off in the next step.
- Warm up the dipping chocolate – While you could do this on the stove, I found it easier to just buy the microwavable bowls. The bowls only take about 30 seconds to melt and are easier to clean up.
- Dip the Marshmallows into Chocolate – Using the pretzel sticks as handles dip the marshmallows into the melted chocolate. You might want to let some of the extra chocolate drip off before moving on to the next step.
- Add Decor – While the chocolate is still wet add the sprinkles or decorations that you have picked out. Depending on the type of chocolate dip you buy this might have to be done quickly (some brands start to harden quickly). Place the decorated snacks on the parchment lined tray.
- Refrigerate – Allow the chocolate to harden in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, then take out and enjoy!
What I might do Differently
The sparkly the pink sugar decorations my daughter picked out looked really pretty in the bottle. On the wet chocolate, however, it turned transparent and wound up hard to see. Next time I might suggest she pick out something larger like this Princess Party Sprinkle Blend. I think it would stand out more!