One of the early challenges my husband and I had when starting a keto way of life was figuring out what to take to social gatherings. Gameday parties or birthdays were filled with carb heavy options that were no longer suitable even for a less strict version of keto. The creation of these keto spinach and artichoke poppers was born of two goals – to bring something that our non-keto friends and family would enjoy and to bring something along that we could eat when other options weren’t suitable.
These poppers are delicious with loads of flavor! If you don’t eat them all in one day they can be stored in the fridge and rewarmed for a few seconds in the microwave. They make an excellent quick lunch the next day! If you happen to have an herb garden in your house then I highly suggest using some fresh parsley! Fresh herbs make a huge difference!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of the links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. This is a collaborative post.
Keto Spinach and Artichoke Poppers
Ingredients – For Dough
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 TBSP Cream Cheese
- 1 ½ Cups Almond Flour
- 1 Egg
Ingredients – For Filling
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese
- ½ Cup Chopped Artichoke Hearts
- ½ Cup Chopped Spinach
- 1 ¼ Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients – For Garlic Butter
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Chopped Parsley
Keto Spinach and Artichoke Poppers – Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees
- Mix together cream cheese and shredded mozzarella for dough in a medium sized microwave safe dish.
- Microwave for 45 seconds, stir and repeat for another 45 seconds
- Add egg and almond flour and mix well. This is easiest to do with a food processor however it can also be done with your hands. If the dough is too sticky rub a bit of olive oil on your fingers to keep it manageable.
- Knead dough on a nonstick surface (silicone mat or parchment paper) until all ingredients are well mixed and set aside.
- Place all filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. This is easiest if the cream cheese has been slightly softened or you use a hand mixer.
- Divide your dough into 10 equal portions. Flatten each portion into a thin disk.
- Place a small bit of filling in the middle of each disk and then fold and seal the edges of the disk around the filling until you have formed a filled dough ball.
- Repeat for all 10 dough disks.
- Arrange dough balls on parchment covered cookie sheet or use silicone baking mats!
- Microwave 2 Tbsp of butter until melted, add garlic powder and chopped parsley. Mix well.
- Use a spoon or sauce brush to spread garlic butter over the top of each dough ball.
I don’t think I have ever had artichokes. I’ve always thought they were a gross vegetable (clearly something I thought as a kid and then never grew out of that thinking), but I’d be willing to give it a try – if I can even find artichokes.
I always thought they were terrible too and they do have a very strong flavor but they are pretty awesome mixed as a filling or dip, or baked and dipped in butter. You just have to remember that a little bit goes a long way!
Yum! These look so nice! I really love mozzarella cheese so I reckon I’d love these. They sound so flavorsome and would make a great lunch or snack idea. Thanks for sharing the recipe Kristin, I’m feeling pretty hungry right now! <3 xx
Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com
Mozzarella cheese is one of my favorites too, they make excellent lunch and snacks!
These look amazing!!! Came across your recipe on Tailwind. Definitely saving it for later 🙂
They are delicious! I’ve made them several times now and they rarely last more than an hour after coming out of the oven haha. Thanks for pinning!
Ok spinach and artichoke dip is one of my favorite things to eat, so the face that you made this into popper form is genius!! I want to make this recipe, thanks for sharing with us <3
Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com/
Don’t blame you, spinach and artichoke is a delicious combo!