Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food. It likely stems back to lunches as a child. I loved them back then because they were one of the items I could help make and who doesn’t love a gooey cheese sandwich? I love them now for some entirely different reasons, though rest assured that taste is still one of the top ones! These keto grilled cheese sandwiches are just as delicious as the ones I had as a child but just as cheap and simple to make!
Since I use low carb tortillas these are probably more suited to those following a more dirty style of keto, however! You can easily switch out the tortilla for a homemade/strict keto version if you prefer!
Keto Grilled Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of the links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Sliced American Cheese – approx 1.4g Net Carb per slice (note that cheese singles like kraft (approx 2) have a higher carb count than those obtained at the deli – however, they do tend to melt better so pick what you like and adjust your count appropriately!)
- Low Carb Tortilla – I prefer the texture of Mission Carb Balance (4-6g Net Carbs depending on the type & size) but any of them will work just fine!
- Optional – A slice of ham, turkey or leftover steak
- Melt butter in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- While your butter is melting, cut one slice of American cheese in half and lay it so that it covers one half of your tortilla shell.
- Add any optional fillings you might like by laying it over the cheese. Some of my favorites are sliced ham or turkey, leftover taco meat or slicked up leftover steak.
- Fold the rest of the tortilla over your fillings so that you have a half-moon shape.
- Fry until one side is slightly browned, flip and repeat.
- Remove from the pan, cut and enjoy!
We LOVE grilled cheese in our house. My favorite way to have it is with a thick slice of tomato in it. So good! I’m glad you are able to make a keto version because honestly, life without grilled cheese is just sad.
I Don’t think I have ever tried a grilled cheese with tomato on it. We might have to give it a whirl!