I love soup! This really shouldn’t come as a surprise since I have posted soup recipes in the past. But, the truth is, there is nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of soup on a chilly winter night. That’s not the only great thing about soup though. It’s also easily adapted to almost any tastes, simple to make and generally budget friendly. This particular keto soup is no exception! The delicious mix of ham, cheddar, and broccoli is sure to keep the whole family happy. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they eat the entire pot in one go! Though, if you manage to hold on to some leftovers it rewarms beautifully!
Keto Soup – Ham, Cheddar and Broccoli Delight
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of the links I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Keto Soup – Ingredients
- 32oz Organic Chicken Broth (Approx 3.8g Net Carbs)
- 2 Cups Cooked Ham, Cubed (0g Net Carbs)
- 3 Cups Broccoli Florets (18g Net Carbs)
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (0g Net Carbs)
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic (2g Net Carbs)
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream (12g Net Carbs)
Keto Soup – Optional Additions
- Bacon Slices (Cooked and crumbled) (0g Net Carbs)
- Extra Shredded Cheddar Cheese (0g Net Carbs)
- Low Carb Tortilla Shells, 1 Per person (5-6 Net Carbs per shell depending on brand)
Total Carb Count for Entire pot of soup – 35.8g Net Carbs. I typically get at least 8-10 servings per pot If we calculate a serving for the lowest number of 8 then each bowl is approx 4.5g of Net Carbs. If you add in 4 ‘chips’ made with low carb tortilla shells then the entire meal will be approximately 9.5g Net Carbs. If you make 10 servings then this count will be lower, make sure to calculate it based on your own individual servings!
Keto Soup – Directions
- Combine chicken broth, broccoli, and ham in a large soup pot. If you are doing keto on a budget frozen broccoli will work just as well as fresh!
- If the chicken broth does not fully cover the ham and broccoli add some water until all ingredients are covered.
- Stir in the minced garlic.
- Bring your soup to a boil.
- Lower the temperature, cover and allow the mixture to simmer for at least an hour (or as long as you can stand).
- If you want to make a cracker substitute (Whats soup without crackers?) then now is the time to pull out your low carb tortilla shells. These might not be suitable for those following a strict keto diet so feel free to substitute for something else if desired.
- Drizzle each side of your soft tortilla shell with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes and then flip them over. Let them bake for a few more minutes but keep a careful eye on them! Make sure to remove them when the edges start to brown and the shells are hardened and crunchy. This normally takes about 3-5 more minutes but oven times will vary.
- Remove your shells from the oven and use a pizza cutter to divide each shell into chips. Set Aside.
- Crisp your bacon slices and allow to cool before crumbling. Set aside.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, Shredded cheddar cheese and stir until well combined and the cheese is melted.
- Salt and pepper the mixture to taste.
- Portion the Soup into bowls, top with a bit of extra cheese and crumbled bacon and serve with some tortilla ‘chips’ for dipping!
*This recipe makes a pretty large pot of soup. I have frozen the leftover numerous times and it reheats very nicely! If you plan on eating the leftover quickly it will keep in the fridge for about a week as well! As always check the carb count for your specific ingredients and adjust as needed!